A Proud History
Fairfield Golf Club was inaugurated at a meeting that took place on the 11th November 1892. Present were Messrs. Ashworth, Campbell, Hart, Sharrat, Suddon and Senior. Mr W. Campbell being the only member who had previously played golf was allotted the task of laying out the course and drawing-up the ‘bye-laws’ (local rules).
This gentleman came from Dundee from whence he had been sent by his company – Robertsons – to establish their jam factory in Droylsden. He evidently wanted to continue playing golf and was the prime influence in the founding of our club.
It was agreed to accept the offer made by Mr Gallimore, a farmer, to rent land from him for the establishment of the course. The land was still in use for grazing and the greens were fenced to prevent damage by cattle!
14th August 1892:
Mr Newhook was engaged as the club professional at a wage of 15/- (75p) per week.
13th May 1893:
The first club competition was played for a club prize donated by the Captain.
19th May 1894:
The first inter-club match was arranged with Marple Golf Club and played at Fairfield – Fairfield won by 5 holes.
The 1892 Club consists of the following private members’ golf clubs. All founded in the year 1892 these clubs have agreed to be part of a friendly association, each offering reciprocal courtesy visits to each other’s club members.
To take advantage of these courtesies the following procedure MUST be followed:
- Members make their own arrangements with the Club they wish to visit, by letter or phone. Give as much notice as possible.
Please do not turn up uninvited and expect to be able to play
- Check if you need a letter of introduction and/or handicap certificate – these can be obtained from the office.
- Check and respect the dress rules of the host Club.
- For visits to take place Clubs should be separated by 75 miles.
- These courtesies do not extend to anyone whose Club is not a member of the 1892 Club.
- Please remember that when visiting other Clubs you are an ambassador of Fairfield Golf Club and when others visit us please extend every courtesy to them as our guests.
- Moderation in numbers at any one visit should be observed (a car load and not a coach load) as should be your number of visits to any particular Club.
- Alfreton Golf Club
- Ballater Golf Club
- Bathgate Golf Club
- Clacton Golf Club
- Dunkeld & Birnam Golf Club
- Fairfield Golf Club
- Fulneck Golf Club
- Heaton Moor Golf Club
- Hillingdon Golf Club
- Huntly Golf Club
- Kings Norton Golf Club
- Leek Golf Club
- Marple Golf Club
- Mid Herts Golf Club
- Newcastle United Golf Club
- Peebles Golf Club
- Petersfield Golf Club
- Preston Golf Club
- Richmond Golf Club
- Royston Golf Club
- Stourbridge Golf Club
- South Staffordshire Golf Club
- Thames Ditton & Esher Golf Club
- Ventnor Golf Club
- Warren Golf Club
- Wearside Golf Club
- West Lothian Golf Club
- Withington Golf Club